Sunday 15 January 2017

Book Review: The Heart of What Was Lost

The Heart of What Was Lost The Heart of What Was Lost by Tad Williams
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have been looking forward to this being published for about a year and Tad Williams did not disappoint! Anxiously awaited by copy in the post and began reading it as soon as I received it.

In short, it was fantastic to be back in the land of Osten Ard. This is a novella which deals with events immediately after where 'To Green Angel Tower' ended. Duke Isgrimmnur is encamped at Tanglewood Castle battling the Norns, whilst they struggle to excape and make their way back to Nakkiga. Eventually they manage to escape and Isgrimmnur and co follow and a siege occurs at Nakkiga. Not a huge amount actually happens, no Miriamele or Simon, but this was just to whet our appetites and span the time period until The Witchwood Crown, and it served its purpose wonderfully.

Here we are given the side of the story mainly from the Norns themselves, which I found fascinating. What Williams has always done so well is fantastic characterisation, the individuals have complex sprawling family histories, and relationships, and the result is utterly believable. All the characters are fully fleshed and we follow them on their every twist and turn, their emotions, worries and fears. His worlds are incredibly complex, with their own systems of government, trade systems, continents, religions and mythologies.

The only other fantasy writer who I feel is on a similar level is Robin Hobb (although her dragon series and recent Fitz books didn't quit float my boat as much as her original two series), and possibly George R.R. Martin (although in my opinion he got seriously lost during Dance of Dragons which was a total snooze fest).


Tad Williams was the author that a few summers ago got me back into fantasy. I picked up some old yellowed copies of Memory Sorrow & Thorn at my local National Trust property as I was drawn to the 80's Michael Whelan cover art. They say never judge a book by its cover, but in this case I was spot on. Was completely drawn in and over the next couple of months ploughed through the four volumes. Utterly and completely immersive reading.

This was a brilliant taster for the new series - I hope it is every bit as gigantic as the original Memory Sorrow & Thorn series. Can't wait to read The Witchwood Crown!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment