Sunday 18 September 2016

curiosities

Cabinets of curiosities (also known as Kunstkabinett, Kunstkammer, Wunderkammer, Cabinets of Wonder, and wonder-rooms) were encyclopedic collections of objects whose categorical boundaries were, in Renaissance Europe, yet to be defined.

Cabinet of Curiosities, 1690s, by Domenico Remps


I recently found a copy of Taschen's 'Cabinet of Natural Curiosities' which I would definitely recommend purchasing if you like this kind of thing. It contains a huge number of Albertus Seba's beautifully drawn images, many still strange and bizarre today. I particularly like the coral and sea creatures. It's a lovely book to sit and look through, so many little details to focus on, really inspiring if you like drawing yourself, or are just a fan of the freakish and fantastic. Some of his drawings of creatures are unintentionally strange and grotesque - many with quite hilarious expressions!

.:.

I was browsing through photos of curiosity collections recently on pinterest, and stumbled across these incredible photos of Malpaquet House, stuffed to the rafters with curiosities. I absolutely love this cluttered and eclectic approach to home decor. It is the kind of thing I would attempt if I had my own house, although with a hugely limited budget.








.;.

Finally, a selection of Charivari - these are german hunting amulets - effectively tiny curiosity collections which are worn, typcially around the waist. I absolutely love these, obviously in some respects they symbolise two things I'm not keen on - hunting and male exhibitionism - however they are beautiful objects in their own right. Some of the more elaborate creations almost resemble armour, from a costume graduate's view (and someone who is obsessive regarding amulets) they are an absolute dream!

















No comments:

Post a Comment